EVIDENCE OF PASSIVE SMOKING ACROSS EUROPE
- 29.0% of all non-smoking adults reported being exposed to SHS in one or more indoor areas.
- SHS exposure was highest in bars (25.3%), followed by restaurants (12.7%).
- Among those who worked indoors, SHS exposure in the workplace was reported by one in four respondents (24.4%)
- Exposure to SHS among non-smokers varied within and between countries of the EU.
- Males, young adults and individuals with financial difficulties were more likely to report exposure to SHS.
- The extent and enforcement of smoke-free legislation were inversely associated with SHS exposure, highlighting the need for comprehensive smoking bans in all European countries.