Stopping smoking is the most important step you can take to improve your lung and overall health. The theme of Healthy Lungs for Life in 2018-19 is “Breathe clean air”, referring to the importance of breathing in good quality air both indoors and outdoors, as well as highlighting the benefits of a smoke-free life.
Healthcare professionals must be actively promoting the benefits of quitting smoking among their patients, and providing them with the support and tools needed to help them stop.
Read our key messages below to learn more about this topic.
Quitting smoking improves the quality and length of your life. Immediately after your last cigarette, your body will feel the benefits.
Stop smoking and:
- Choose healthy lungs
- Choose more energy
- Choose to cough less
- Choose to feel young
- Choose better fertility
- Choose a longer life
Factsheet: Quitting smoking - the benefits
Key messages for professionals
- Are you motivating your patients by talking about the benefits of quitting smoking?
- Have you been trained in smoking cessation and advice?
- Help your patients to stop smoking by explaining the benefits
Areas for action:
- Member states need to fully implement the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) – including measures regarding taxation, dvertising and packaging
- All public places across the EU should be smoke-free areas – including parks and playgrounds
- To protect children, further measures may be needed – for example a ban on smoking in cars