Healthy Lungs for Life campaign continues ‘breathe clean air’ theme – with an emphasis on the importance of a smoke-free life
Healthy Lungs for Life will this year have the theme of 'breathe clean air', highlighting not only the importance of breathing in good quality air both indoors and outdoors, but also the benefits of a smoke-free life.
The campaign will officially launch during the European Respiratory Society International Congress in Milan between 9–13 September, with a high-profile advertising campaign and a number of Healthy Lungs for Life public events in Milan, and activities within the Congress for delegates. It will run until September 2018.
Public activities in Milan
Healthy Lungs for Life will kick off at a lung function testing event on via Luca Beltrami – Piazza Castello in Milan running on Friday 8 and Saturday 9 September, 2017 between 10:00–18:00.
Members of the public can visit the event and:
- Have a free lung function (spirometry) test
- Discuss quitting smoking and the support available
- Get advice on lung health and protecting yourself from air pollution
- Play our interactive Healthy Lungs for Life game
- Speak to representatives from ELF, Federasma, Women Against Lung Cancer in Europe (WALCE) and the Italian Association for Respiratory Care (ARIR)
We will also host a ‘meet the expert’ evening on Monday 11 September from 18:30–20:30 at Palazzo Reale, Sala Conferenze, Piazza del Duomo 12, Milano.
This event will give patients and the public the chance to hear talks in Italian from experts on air pollution outdoors and at work, and on living smoke-free. There will also be opportunity to ask questions, followed by light refreshments.
Activities at the Congress
Within the ERS International Congress, there will be a Healthy Lungs for Life stand in the World Village, located close to the ERS stand, and the ERS bookshop.
Delegates can visit us at the Healthy Lungs for Life stand and:
- Pick up a 'Breathe clean air' information pack
- Discuss holding a Healthy Lungs for Life event and other ways to support the campaign
- Sign a charter calling for a new officially recognised World Lung Day
In addition, the key messages of the Healthy Lungs for Life campaign will run throughout the Congress, with many prominent sessions for healthcare professionals focusing on the importance of clean air and smoking cessation scheduled to take place. Access the Healthy Lungs for Life Congress programme.
There are many ways in which you can get involved in the campaign – even if you are not able to join us in Milan. For example
- Hold a Healthy Lungs for Life event – our website contains all the resources you will need to help plan this
- Follow the campaign on social media (@europeanlung or @ERStalk) and use the hashtag #BreatheCleanAir
- Display a Healthy Lungs for Life poster in your workplace
- Hold an educational spirometry training event for professionals
- Take and share the Healthy Lungs for Life quiz: English, Dutch, German, for healthcare professionals (English)
- Play and share the Healthy Lungs for Life game