It is really important to protect yourself and not make yourself feel unwell, but it is important to protect others and to observe the guidance in your country. There are a few things that may help you to cope with using a face covering/ mask:
- First, it is important to know that, medically, face coverings/ masks are safe for people with lung conditions.
- Check with your local authority about whether a face covering such as a scarf is acceptable - some people with lung conditions may find these easier to breathe through and less restricting.
- Once you have your face covering/ mask, start to get used to it gradually. Try it on while sat down at home. Get used to the way it feels and to breathing through it. If you start to struggle, you can easily remove the face covering/ mask and breathe normally.
- Once you start to feel comfortable wearing the mask, try wearing it for a bit longer and to walk a short distance around your house. This will help you get used to breathing slightly more heavily through the face covering/ mask.
- Once you are comfortable in the face covering/ mask moving around your home you should feel more comfortable wearing it outside.