Healthy Lungs for Life was launched at the European Respiratory Society International Congress in Munich, and a range of events took place in the Congress centre from 6-10 September 2014.
A greener Congress
This year the ERS started a 20-point plan towards a greener Congress, including:
- More environmentally friendly congress bag
- No paper promotions in the bag
- Reduced copies of journals
- Support of paper-free exhibition stands
- The ERS Exhibition stands were themed around the Healthy Lungs for Life campaign
ERS International congress - Healthy Lungs for Life programme
The following sessions formed the ERS Healthy Lungs for Life Congress programme:
- A global threat: biomass burning and respiratory health
- Air quality and lung development
- MDR pathogens causing of pneumonia
- Mesothelioma: a never-ending story
- Nanoparticles and respiratory health
- New diagnostics and better treatments for M/XDR-TB
- Non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) pulmonary diseases on the rise
- Smoking cessation strategies
A number of these sessions were filmed to be used in Congress hubs in India.
Opening ceremony and ELF award
- The opening ceremony of the ERS International Congress 2014 took up the theme of clean air
- Healthy Lungs for Life was officially launched
- The ceremony included school children from across Munich and their ideas about clean air
This year's ELF Award went to the World Health Organization, in recognition of their contribution to improving the quality of air that we breathe by providing outdoor air quality guidelines. Zsuzsanna Jakab, Regional Director for WHO Europe, accepted the award during the ERS International Congress opening ceremony.