The European Lung Foundation (ELF) provides the patient voice in the activities of the European Respiratory Society (ERS). ERS is a medical society that produces guidelines, funds and publishes research, runs courses and holds conferences for health professionals working in lung health and disease. People with lung conditions can get involved via ELF to ensure the patients’ voice is heard in ERS activities.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please contact Sarah Masefield, ELF Patient Relations.
European Patient Ambassador Programme
Would you like to use your experiences to improve healthcare?
EPAP is a free online learning resource developed to help patients and carers gain the knowledge and confidence to get involved in lots of different areas of patient involvement. The learning modules cover:
- Finding information
- Health policy
- Media activities
Visit the EPAP website for more information and to register.
ERS Task Forces
Put patients’ views at the heart of healthcare by helping develop new guidelines and statements on important lung health topics.
You can input into all stages of ERS guidelines by:
- Helping identify which topics should be addressed
- Answering surveys to understand patient experiences
- Reviewing ERS documents and helping make versions for patients and the public
To find out more about guidelines we are involved in go to Task forces.
Help health professionals improve their awareness of the patient experience by speaking at the world’s largest lung conference.
Having input from patients and carers at healthcare conferences can change the way professionals think about the impact of lung conditions on daily living. Each year we identify sessions that patients could be involved by:
- Presenting patient experiences during scientific talks
- Taking part in discussion groups with professionals to tell them what matters
If you are interested in speaking at the ERS Congress please register for the European Patient Ambassador Programme (EPAP) and join our community of patient ambassadors. Opportunities for involvement will be posted on the EPAP LinkedIn group.
Help professionals understand the realities of living with your condition.
The ERS runs face-to-face and online courses for health professionals on lots of different topics. You could:
- Take part in courses to teach professionals about living with a condition
- Present and answer questions about your experiences
- Provide case studies for courses
- Help with demonstrations so professionals can improve their practical skills
If you are interested, email Sarah Masefield to find out if there are any upcoming opportunities.